Tuesday 24 September 2013

Lumps and bumps

Today I went to the doctors for me.  Something I've been meaning to do for a while.  About 5 weeks ago I found a lump on my breast (less scary than it sounds).  Wotsit had climbed into bed and laid his head on my chest and it had felt a bit tender.  When I got up, I had a proper feel, found a bump under my skin and then mentioned it to husband.  Having spent a couple of hours on google, we were both pretty convinced it's nothing serious but knew it should be checked out. 

Over the last five weeks, I've found lots of convenient excuses not to go to the doctors; too busy at hospital with Wotsit, can't take Wotsit to doctors with me as he's neutropenic, I don't think it's a lump, more of a bump, it's not on my breast, more my chest, I haven't shaved under my arms... The reality is I was putting it off because not knowing is sometimes a safer place to be.  That, and some deeply rooted fear of making a nuisance of myself unnecessarily.  All utterly ridiculous and if a friend had told me this, I'd probably have pushed them (nicely) to one side and insisted on booking the appointment for them.

I finally ran out reasons not to go, plucked up the courage and made the appointment this morning.  And it was fine.  I didn't feel like I had wasted anyone's time, and I feel better about myself for doing what I know was the sensible thing to do.

Thankfully, the lovely doctor agrees that it doesn't feel like anything ominous but has referred me to the breast clinic to be sure.  Appointment to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment